Kim Kardashian has been accused of buying an illegally exported ancient Roman statue from Italy. Kim on the other hand asserts she is unaware of such a purchase.

The sculpture in question, according to records filed in a California court last Friday, is a 1st or 2nd century AD limestone sculpture. According to CNN, the monument was removed by federal officials at the Los Angeles/Long Beach Seaport in 2016 due to a lack of evidence on its history. Officials later concluded that the piece was “looted, smuggled, and illegally exported” in a shipment containing 40 pieces priced at about $745,000. There was no indication of archeological discoveries on the customs document.

According to the filing: In February 2018, an archaeologist from Italy’s Ministry of Cultural Heritage conducted an analysis of the defendant statue. The archaeologist stated that the defendant statue is of classical Peplophoros style (early to mid-Roman Empire), which represents a copy of an original Greek sculpture. Based on the information and scientific aspects the archaeologist provided, the archaeologist opined that the defendant statute was looted, smuggled and illegally exported from Italy.

The importer was allegedly identified as Kardashian’s trust, but a spokesman for the cosmetics guru refuted the claims, saying Kardashian never purchased the statue and that “this is the first that she has learned of its existence.”

“We believe that it may have been purchased using her name without authorization and because it was never received (and) she was unaware of the transaction,” the spokesperson told CNN. “We encourage an investigation and hope that it gets returned to the rightful owners.”

Axel Vervoordt was also identified as one of the item’s shippers in court records. Kardashian and her former husband, Kanye West, have previously collaborated with Vervoordt, a well-known art collector and interior decorator. Authorities in Italy suggest Vervoordt had the sculpture in his hands as early as 2011, a year before he reportedly purchased it. Officials refer to a snapshot taken at the European Fine Art Fair in 2011 that shows the artifact on display at Vervoordt’s booth at the annual art fair.

In response to the claims, a spokesperson for Vervoordt told CNN that the team was “informed only yesterday that the US government has filed for forfeiture” and “there is no evidence that this piece was illegally imported from Italy. Our client, as well as our gallery and the gallery from whom we’ve bought the piece have always acted in good faith when dealing with the work.”

Per the bilateral agreement between Italy and United States, officials are asking for the items to be returned to Italy.

Mingle