According to the Chicago Tribune, R Kelly was kept on suicidal watch following the judge’s guilty verdict for federal sex crimes last month.
Kelly’s attorney, Steve Greenberg, told U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber during a preliminary hearing on Wednesday that “after he was found guilty [Kelly] was placed under suicide watch,” but the mandate has now been rescinded.
The disgraced singer was found guilty on Sept. 27 after dozens of women testified in court for his convicted crimes which includes one count of racketeering, alleged juvenile sexual exploitation, kidnapping, and forced labor, as well as eight counts of violating the Mann Act, which effectively criminalizes prostitution across state lines.
Following his guilty verdict, acting US Attorney Jacquelyn M. Kasulis of the US Department of Justice stated:
“Today’s guilty verdict forever brands R. Kelly as a predator, who used his fame and fortune to prey on the young, the vulnerable, and the voiceless for his own sexual gratification.
“A predator who used his inner circle to ensnare underage teenage girls, and young women and men, for decades, in a sordid web of sex abuse, exploitation and degradation.”
Kelly, according to Greenberg, is working on changing his legal representatives. He told Leinenweber, “I think he’s talking about bringing in new lawyers in New York.”
According to reports, Kelly and his defense team are working with state prosecutors to identify additional child sex offenders in the industry in an attempt to get a reduced sentence as his May 4th hearing approaches. He faces a minimum sentence of ten years in prison and a maximum sentence of life in prison.