Organizer Emily Eavis and her dad Michael Eavis have made a public plea to the government for financial help to protect their business if next year’s festival is terminated due to covid-19.
The Eavis are hoping to once more have the masses over for next year’s festival following this year’s cancellation, amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The team is currently making plans for the festival to return as usual for next year but with such uncertainty when it comes to covid-19, the Eavis’ are hoping the government may cover any losses if the festival is canceled.
Emily Eavis told The Sunday Times: “In a usual planning cycle we would already be well into organizing the next festival.
The best solution would be for the government to offer … direct financial support in the event of Glastonbury, and other events, being forced to cancel once they’re well into the preparations.”
Emily elaborated saying: “If the government can share the risk by offering direct financial support, then it gives everyone the opportunity to move forward with the planning in the hope that things will be safe to run in the summer, and in the knowledge, that backing is available if we’re simply not in a position to go ahead.”
In response, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport said: “We know these are challenging times for the live events sector and are working flat out to support it.
We have invested £1bn so far through the culture recovery fund to protect tens of thousands of creative jobs … with £400m more support still to come.”
The plea comes after Michael Eavis insinuated ‘there could be massive testing arrangements’ at next year’s Glasto. He said to GlastoFestFeed: “Do we want to test 200,000 people, three times – when they leave their home; when they’re halfway here; and when they get to the gate – so that we’re clear of Covid?”
So far Emily has assured all fans who bought tickets that next year’s festival won’t be pushed to September as they intend to stick to June 2021. She added: “Also, we’ve moved our ticket resale back from October to April, because so few people have asked for a refund (next year’s Festival remains sold out), meaning we don’t have enough tickets to resell. Plus, we’ve extended the free cancellation deadline until the end of January.”
Have you reserved your tickets for next year’s Glasto.?
- FRESH VIDEO: LIZZO – 2 BE LOVED (AM I READY) - August 17, 2022
- JESY NELSON SHARES ON FINISHING DEBUT SOLO ALBUM, FOLLOWING LABEL SPLIT - August 17, 2022
- SEVERAL RICK ROSS-OPERATED WINGSTOP LOCATIONS FINED OVER LABOR VIOLATIONS - August 17, 2022